July 7, 2011

Pasta Night

On the nights that I am not eating out, I am usually making something simple, easy, and a breeze to clean up. That means we have pasta at least one night a week. I always use fresh veggies and sometimes throw some kind of protein in a separate pan for my meat-eating boyfriend. I hate to admit it, but yes, I almost always use store bought sauce. In the late summer when my parents' tomatoes are plentiful and ripe, I make a raw tomato basil sauce that is to die for. Until then, I settle for the jar. Luckily, I have found the best pasta sauce you can buy, Brignola! It is locally made in Old Hickory, TN. They have two varieties that are available at my local Whole Foods; Marinara and Arrabbiata. I always opt for the Arrabbiata since it is spicy and I'm obsessed with all things spicy!
As you've probably seen in my other posts, I'm always using veggies from my parent's garden. They have a small garden on their 7 acres in Franklin, TN and I'm always driving to their house to steal whatever summer veggies are ripe! Every week I throw in different veggies, whatever I have on hand that is fresh, local and in season. On this particular pasta night I had some summer squash from my parent's garden so I sautéed the squash along with some asparagus, onion, garlic, and kalamata olives.
All you need to do to make this simple dish is chop up all the veggies, throw them in a pan with some oil (lately I've been using coconut oil), and sauté them until they are slightly browned. Next, just pour the sauce over the veggies, let it all simmer for 5-7 minutes, and pour it on your pasta. That's it! A no fail, quick and easy dinner!
The final product topped with fresh parsley and crushed red pepper.  And of course, wine!
Don't forget to check out Brignola sauces. They really are amazing!
www.brignolafoods.com

Happy Eating,
Evyn

1 comment: