June 9, 2011

The Yellow Porch

For my first entry I wanted to write about one of my favorite restaurants in Nashville, The Yellow Porch. Last weekend, my parents and I were lucky enough to snag a table at this quaint little spot. As long as The Yellow Porch has been open, they have never advertised and it is always packed! "The Porch," as regulars like me call it, has an intimate and cozy dining room decorated with beautiful local art, as well as the best patio in town. The ambiance alone is enough to bring you back. Add to that the to-die-for food (lots of which comes from the small garden out front), amazing waitstaff, and expansive wine list, and you have a spot that can not be missed.


On any given night, The Porch is filled with a variety of people; a young rock band stopping in for dinner after a recording session at the famous Blackbird Studios down the street, a group of girls out on the town, suited-up businessmen, or a couple celebrating an anniversary. The night we decided to dine was as eclectic and busy as ever. 


We had to forego the awesome patio due to the heat and humidity so we sat inside. We started, as usual, with the best appetizer in Nashville: the "Sweetwater Tennessee Cheddar Fritters." If the words warm, cheesy, gooey, crispy, and spicy appeal to you, then you need these now. They are served with a spicy aioli and a delicious locally made chow chow. I can't go to The Porch without these and once you have them you won't be able to either.
Cheese Fritters with spicy aioli and chow chow
Every night, The Porch has at least 2 specials, usually fresh fish, in addition to the regular menu. Chef Guerry McComas creates some of the most inventive and delicious fish dishes I've ever had. I especially love all of the veggies and sides he pairs with the fish. That night, I chose the Corvina special. It was served over a local hash made with potatoes, beets, zucchini, and other seasonal veggies all tossed in an herbed brown butter sauce. I paired it with a glass of rosé and it was delicious! 
The Corvina special from The Yellow Porch
My mom chose the Alaskan Halibut special which was served over local smashed potatoes, grilled green cabbage, and a smoked yellow tomato sauce. Also absolutely incredible! I think I ended up eating as much of hers as I did my own dish. My dad, as always, got the filet. I personally do not eat red meat, but according to my dad, who is a filet aficionado, The Yellow Porch has the best filet he has ever had. If the potato and mushroom gratin that it is served with it is any indication of how good the filet itself is, then I know he is right.
Filet over potato-mushroom gratin and asparagus
After some amazing food and a great bottle of rosé, we were too stuffed to get their famous flourless chocolate torte or the bananas foster bread pudding. Next time, which won't be too long from now, I'll dive into dessert and tell you all about it.


As soon as possible, go visit chef Guerry and the incredible staff at this hip little neighborhood joint. You won't be sorry!


Happy Eating,
Evyn

No comments:

Post a Comment